26 February 2012

Spider Wheel Tutorial

Spider Wheel Tutorial
I've had a couple of my Tuesday Stitchers friends request a tutorial on how I made the Spider Wheel that I stitched onto my February CQJP block....... so here it is.


You may like to draw an inner and outer circle on your fabric as guide lines for the stitching. I don't use guide lines as I am predominantly a Freeform stitcher.

Stitch "spokes" of the wheel

Bring thread to the front between two spokes of the inner circle

Take needle under two spokes. Do not go through fabric.

Pull thread gently through

Take thread under the last spoke again, and under the next spoke. 
The needle always goes under two spokes at a time.

Pull thread through.

Same again with the next spokes.
Always go back under the last spoke to wrap the thread around that spoke.

Pull thread through again gently to wrap thread around the spoke.

Continue around the wheel.

Back at the start.

Keep going around the wheel.
Here I have been around the wheel three times so far.

Keep going.

I changed thread colour towards the outside.

Keep wrapping the spokes until you have the wheel complete.
Side view shows it is quite a textured wheel.

And I filled the centre with French Knots.



9 comments:

  1. Interesting! Were you using purle cotton? I like to stitch freeform also; don't know why, but I do. Thanks for the lesson! Now to try it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Judy, the peach colour was Perle 8 and the yellow edge on it was Perle 12.

      Delete
    2. P.s. -The French Knots in the middle are 6-stranded cotton.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Cy! Does it matter whether you have an even number of spokes or an odd number? I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't matter, odd or even.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, that reminds me how I did it a couple of years ago. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Susan ;-)
      Looking forward to seeing what you create.

      Delete
  4. I haven't tried this stitch before, but I think it'll be perfect for my next pebble adventure. Thanks Cy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideal for your encrusted pebbles Suz yes.

      Delete